From: gi...@att.net [mailto:gi...@att.net]
Sent: Mon 9/24/2007 12:31 PM
To: Minton, Mark; TexasCavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [SUSPECT SPAM] Re: [Texascavers] RE: Say NO to TOLL roads in Texas

From: "Minton, Mark" <mmin...@nmhu.edu>
>       David Locklear said:
> >If we ever do really really run out of oil, all of these super highways are
> >going to look kind of funny.
>
>       We may indeed run out of oil, but we will not run out of fuel.  ...  We
> will migrate
> to biofuels or hydrogen or electric cars, but we will not stop driving in the
> foreseeable future.

Historically, highways were financed with fuel taxes collected specifically for
that purpose. It seems to me that it should stay that way--this is a selective
tax on those who use the roads the most--just raise those taxes to meet the
demand, like damned near anything else in capitalism. But at the same time, the
builders (the State of Texas in this case) can be a whole lot more frugal in
their designs. I am totally grossed out by the wasteful design of the 130
interchange ramps and such--they are too pretty and extravegant and overly
built. They can be designed to be both artful and utilitarian--and therefore a
whole lot cheaper. That is only one example of why the highway fund is running
out of money and why they are using that as an excuse to build undignified toll
roads. Building and stocking toll plazas and the circuitous access roads they
require is money down the drain. We already know how to build simple
limited-access highways; let's not complicate it more than neces
 sary.

Having said that, and without prejudice to the unforseeable future, I can see
that the use of biofuels (especially those of the home-brew variety) and
hydrogen and electric cars will increasingly rob the fund of income now
provided by fuel taxes. Tolls may be the next best method of getting the
majority of users to pay for the roads. But, the paying of tolls needs to be
painless, preferably with high speed toll lanes, no toll plazes with human toll
collectors to waste money on forever, no need to lift even the smallest hand to
sign up for the service (your license plate is your toll pass), and some sort
of automatic debit/payment options that require no action on the user's part
except verification and oversight. In other words, I don't want to be bothered
by it. It's bad enough to hate toll roads without having to be reminded of them
with obnoxous toll plazas and resultant slow-downs and traffic jams every few
miles.

--Ediger