I use plain old baking soda when washing cave clothes. The sodium bicarbonate deflocculates the clay particles and makes my cave clothes very clean. When I wash my caving clothes in the washer, I add about a cup of baking soda (two for particularly muddy clothes) along with detergent. I let the washer fill, let it start agitating, and then open the lid and let everything soak for a bit. After a while, I close the lid and let it finish washing.

For really muddy cave clothes and caving gear, I soak everything in a big tub with water and baking soda. The clay breaks down and washes off with a garden hose. The clothes then get washed with detergent and baking soda.

A more fun method of washing caving gear is a through trip in Honey Creek Cave. You get some exercise, have a good trip, and exit with clean gear! :-)

Allan