A lot of the county and FEMA and other "official" flood plain maps are pretty
much just point to point connected straight line, quick draw sorta maybe
somewhere near to where it oughta be generalities that don't really follow
contour lines or realistic topographic profiles. They are based (call it
guessed at) on 20 foot contour maps (or worse) and therefore are not precise by
any means. That is probably intentional since surveying all the miriad of
streams to a foot or so--which is really what's required--would be an
impossible task and are understood to not be cast in stone. As lots are bought
and sold and developed flood plain data is surveyed in and incorporated into
the database and the base maps further refined.

It's important to remember that flood plains cannot be demarcated with any real
precision anyway. All streams have a variable gradient which does not follow
the contour lines exactly or for long and is affected by many factors including
the gradient itslef at any particular point or section of the stream, the width
and depth of the actual entrenched streamway at any particular point, and the
profile (cross section) of the flood plain itself--the broadness or flatness of
the plain or the steepness and depth of canyon walls which might limit a
stream's spreading--which are always changing relative to the water moving
downstream. All of the workings of a stream are quite dynamic and are affected
by the gradient and imperviousness of the tributary upon which rain falls, rain
pulses which cause pulses in the stream which are differentially affected by
water already impounded by chokes or bends or other factors that were different
a few minutes before, other pulses coming into the main c
hannel from other tributaries either before, while, or after it does, etc, etc.
Flood plain maps are at best half-assed guesses by engineers working from
imprecise maps and who've probably never set foot on the site. Even when a
particular stream may have been surveyed and the local gradient and approximate
watershed known, there are still too many variables--especially as the
watershed gets larger--to make anything that resembles a definitive mark on the
wall or to put a stick in the ground and say, "Here it is."

On the other hand, the sea level change maps can be figured fairly closely by
simply following and/or interpolating the marginally accurate contour lines
that are readily available on all topo sheets. None of the variables mentioned
above regarding flood plains will play any part in predicting within a few feet
or centimeters pretty nearly exactly where sea level will reach at any given
worldwide rise. That's another type of flooding altogether.

--Ediger

From: "Scott" <back2scool...@hotmail.com>