From: Carl Kunath [mailto:carl.kun...@suddenlink.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 12:47 PM
To: TexasCavers
Subject: [Texascavers] Diesel needs (OT)

For those of you wondering why a diesel "needs" so much more oil than a
gasoline engine. . . .  It's not that it's "required" to run.  A diesel
would operate just fine on 5-6 quarts of oil -- or even less.  It's a
problem of contamination.  Because the diesel operates at much higher
compression ratios (typically in the 18:1 - 22:1 range) than a gasoline
engine, there are more contaminates forced past the piston rings and
into the oil sump.  The larger capacity is required to maintain a
reasonable level of oil quality.  Diesel engines also utilize far larger
oil filters than for gasoline engines of equivalent displacement.  Oil
drained from a diesel engine after 3,000 miles of normal service will
usually appear so black that if from a gasoline engine you would suspect
it of having served 10,000 miles.

It's far more expensive to change oil and filter for a diesel but some
of that comes back as better fuel economy.  Basically, the diesel pays
its way because it does a particular job (usually heavy hauling if it's
in a truck) far better than a gasoline engine.  Unfortunately, there has
been a recent tendency to reduce displacement and maintain power by
higher compression ratios and other performance-enhancing tweaks.  Ford
made a horrible mistake when they replaced the 7.3L engine with the 6.0L
in mid-2003.  It cost them millions of dollars in warranty expense.
They have now recognized that error and have abandoned the 6.0L in favor
of a new 6.4L that has yet to earn its reputation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power_Stroke_engine

What the US needs (and what cavers would LOVE) is a Toyota 4-door, 4WD,
6-cylinder diesel pickup.  Toyota has marketed diesel engine pickups in
other parts of the world but not the US so far as I know.  Probably
something to do with emission requirements and the fact that they sell
everything they can make anyway.

===Carl Kunath  (Happy owner of a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel hungry for its
next 14 quart oil change.)

UNRELATED PS:  Louise Power -- your hot mail provider is blocking
anything coming from the suddenlink domain.