From: "Louise Power" <power_lou...@hotmail.com>
To: billmi...@worldnet.att.net, texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: RE: [Texascavers] Tone's adventure with bees
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:21:43 -0700

Hi Bill and all,

I've read all your comments on anaphylaxsis (sometimes called anaphylactic shock). Here, briefly, are the symptoms Tone described :

"David, Gary, and Matt decided to get some lunch before returning to de-rig the ropes.  I declined the invitation as I wasn't much in the mood for food at the moment.  After everyone decided that we were all ok, I headed home.  After a shower, I fell asleep.  It must have been around noon.

"Gary called me around 2:15 p.m. to see if I was ok.  I didn't make it to the phone, but I did call him back shortly thereafter.  I was in a sort of delirium, and I couldn't believe how nauseous I felt.  I eventually went back to bed.  David instant messaged me around 3 p.m. to see if I was ok.  I told him "the welts aren't much bigger.  In fact, they look much the same as when I left the parking area."

"As for me, I felt sick to my stomach and light headed from about noon to 5:45 p.m.  I tried getting up several times only to lie back down."

Medicinenet.com describes the symptoms of anaphylaxis as:

What are anaphylaxis symptoms?

The symptoms of an anaphylactic reaction may occur within seconds of exposure, or be delayed 15 to 30 minutes, or even an hour or more after exposure (typical of reactions to aspirin and similar drugs). Early symptoms are often related to the skin and include:

  • Flushing (warmth and redness of the skin),
  • itching (often in the groin or armpits), and
  • hives.

These symptoms are often accompanied by:

  • a feeling of "impending doom,"
  • anxiety, and
  • sometimes a rapid, irregular pulse.

Frequently following the above symptoms, throat and tongue swelling results in hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, and difficulty breathing.

Symptoms of rhinitis (hay fever) or asthma may occur causing:

  • a runny nose,
  • sneezing, and wheezing, which may worsen the breathing difficulty,
  • vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps may develop.

About 25% of the time, the mediators flooding the blood stream cause a generalized opening of capillaries (tiny blood vessels) which results in a drop in blood pressure, lightheadedness, or even loss of consciousness. These are the typical features of anaphylactic shock.

Mayoclinic.com shows the following:

Signs and symptoms

An anaphylactic reaction is most likely to occur in susceptible people who've been stung by a bee, eaten food containing food allergens, or taken a medication that they are sensitive to. The effects of anaphylaxis aren't limited to the site of the exposure. Development of the following signs and symptoms within minutes of exposure to an allergen is a strong indication of anaphylaxis:

  • Constriction of the airways, including wheezing and a swollen tongue or throat, that results in difficulty breathing
  • Shock associated with a severe decrease in blood pressure
  • Weak and rapid pulse
  • Dizziness or fainting
  • Hives and itching
  • Flushed or pale skin
  • Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea

Not everyone has all symptoms. Not all symptoms are severe. Not everybody has the respiratory problems when symptoms are not severe. But with the reaction he had, he should have been taken to the doctor. I would err on the side of caution, i.e., any out-of-the-ordinary reaction of this sort merits a trip to a doctor or emergency room. As I learned when I was an EMT, anaphylaxis is a true medical emergency.

I'm glad that this subject has evoked some discussion. Perhaps it will make everyone more aware of the danger.

Louise