From: dan evans [mailto:dan_evan...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 10:16 PM
To: Texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] rodent recipe

Attention rodent eaters--
This doesn't relate to caving, but I read some of the Texascavers'
emails
about eating rodents and wanted to add a tasty "Belgium" recipe for a
good
American rodent--squirrel. It's from "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical

Recipes and Practices," first published in Minnesota in 1960. Obviously,
for
a crowd, you'll need a lot more than 3 squirrels. It is more trouble
than
rat-on-a-stick but well worth the effort.
Karen

Belgium Squirrel

Clean, wash, and dry 3 squirrels. Cut into serving pieces. Brown the
pieces
in butter in a frying pan. Transfer the browned pieces to a deep cooking

pot. Slice two onions and cook until done in the remaining butter. Put
the
onions and butter over the squirrel. Add enough water to almost cover
the
squirrel. Add 3 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon thyme, and salt and

pepper to taste. Cover the pot. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Then
add
about 18 prunes (seeds removed) to the liquid in the pot. Bake 45 more
minutes at 325 degrees. Remove the pot from oven.
Make a gravy:  Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour in a cup of cold water
until
there are no lumps. Add this to the liquid in the pot and cook on the
stovetop, stirring frequently about 10 minutes. Serve the gravy and
squirrel
together.

PC Magazine's 2007 editors' choice for best Web mail-award-winning
Windows
Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migr
ation_HM_mini_pcmag_0507