About 2 weeks ago, I mentioned in an off-topic post that I would wait a few
months to buy a laptop.

Yesterday, I saw 2 different stores selling brand-name new laptops for $ 399
with no rebates or any gimmicks.

I played the Vista Solitaire programs on them and they worked slow, but
it was still a much better experience than XP.

I briefly thought about getting one and just using it as a back-up device to
archive files and to play with Vista a little more, but not for loading new
games or business programs.

One of the new features in the newest laptops is a slot similar to the
a CF card, but smaller called a "Express Card" slot.

You can currently purchase several gadgets for the EC slot.

For example a 16 GB memory card:

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/04/TS16GSSD34E_1.jpg

This would be like having a 2nd hard-drive in your laptop.  ( pricey )

Or a cell-phone antenna card for surfing the web anywhere there
is a cell-phone signal.   ( they have USB versions of this now )

One of things confusing laptop buyers now are the dozens of centrino
chips to choose from.

If you have the $ for a new ( Windows ) laptop, you want to get one
that says "T7200."     This is processor is getting good reviews.    The
cheapest one I have seen was in an Acer for $ 1,700.

The Intel sticker should say "Core "2" Duo"  or
"Centrino Pro" and not just "Core Duo."

http://download.intel.com/products/centrino/pro/316888.pdf

http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/pro/description.htm

Of course, you could spend money on the fastest laptop processor,
the T7600G

See:   Dell XPS M1710   ( fully loaded cost almost $ 5,000 )

No laptops appear to have a Direct X10 video card yet, which some
are claiming is going to make gaming more exciting.    But on a 17"
inch screen, who really cares?

HP is putting a HDMI slot on their $ 1,700 model, so you can plug it
directly into your 52" plasma screen, and watch your HD DVD's straight
off the laptop without having to own a HD-DVD player.

In a few years, when these high-end laptops drop below $ 1,000 and
Vista's kinks are worked out, I think you are going to see everybody
walking around with a laptop, just like today we see everybody with
a bluetooth ear-piece glued in their ear.    By then, the PCMIA slot
will be gone, just like the floppy drives.

On a related note, I have heard that replacing Vista on your laptop and
trying to load another program like the old XP is a major headache.
Apparently, Vista doesn't like to be dumped?    Wouldn't you lose important
drivers specific to the laptop?

David Locklear