From: Louise Power [mailto:power_lou...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 3:06 PM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: [Texascavers] Archival Quality CDs

I have been working on my family history since about 1991. Recently, the
following information appeared in a genealogical newsletter I subscribe
to:

I recently read an article in "Popular Mechanics" about the problems
with archiving data and just wanted to pass this on.

My experience with CDs has not been good. I have had a CD-RW fail in
two months time and CD-Rs in less than two years.

This article refers to "archive quality" CD-Rs that are produced by
Kodak and Memorex. They are unique in that they both use 24k gold
rather than dyes as the main component. Supposedly they are to be
"viable" for 300 years. They are expensive at $15.00 for a five pack,
but worth every penny if they truly last.

I looked up these archival gold CDs on the web and you can actually get
them for less than the price mentioned in this note. Has anybody used
these for archiving their slides, etc? They seem like a good idea for
family histories, slides and anything you want to keep around virtually
(no pun intended, well maybe...) forever. Not that any of us are going
to be here in 300 years to put in a claim on the guarantee if they don't
last.

Louise