John, maybe we could combine our collection of old gear and make this museum thing work. Pretty soon, the newcomers would pay to see one of those old carbide lights that you load with "rocks" and add water to burn. Tying prussic knots will soon be a lost art. And a descender that looks like a worn out log or a metal contraption (remember the hook or the whale-tail?) would be unbelievable when sitting between a mini rack and a Mt. Thor "special". Maybe we could get David Locklear to add in his collection of 859 LED lights. Now, if I could just remember where I put the old Grotto ladder, made out of re-bar and chain, we could really impress our visitors.

Did anyone else clean out their caving stuff over the 4th?

 - Pete

Miguel Blanco wrote:

Take all your stuff to the next convention, improvise a museum on your tent and charge for the visitors. make a card for each item describing its special story (this jummar save my life when...) You may even get to sell something... Miguel.
 > Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:22:46 -0500
 > From: jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net
 > To: texascavers@texascavers.com
 > Subject: [Texascavers] Old caving gear?
 >
> Over the years; I have accumulated a lot of old worn out caving gear. Packs, > with holes, flashlights that don't work and seem impossible to fix, worn out > knee pads, old scratched up mud stained helmets, cable ladders, tripods for
 > digging, miscellaneous sledge hammers and shovels, musty camping gear
> (tents, tarps, stoves, tarps, sleeping bags, packs of the non caving type)
 > retired caving ropes, ascenders, worn out boots and boots that I acquired
 > for a special trip and have not worn since, etc.
> When needed I have replaced gear to keep my kit in good condition for every
 > trip. And I just realized that I am a pack rat. Unless the item was
 > completely worn out I have kept it. So I have a closet ( and part of my
> storage room) filled with old gear that I never use or look at......some of
 > it smells funky. The smell apparently comes from the years I caved in
> southern Illinois and Indiana. But also from the numerous Texas and Oklahoma
 > caves that I have frequented.
> I know Pete Lindsley still uses the caving gear he acquired in the 1800's,
 > when he started caving as a teenager after the civil war. But I am sure
> there are others like me, who are not quite so old......and I was wondering
 > what you do with your old gear?

¿Te urge encontrar un doctor? Encuentra doctores y todo lo que necesites en Búsqueda Local de Prodigy/MSN ¿Restaurantes cerca de casa? Prodigy/MSN Búsqueda Local, restaurantes y todo lo que quieras justo donde lo necesitas. <http://www.prodigymsn.com >