I agree with Mark.  Maybe it's changed in the last 2 years, but
before then you definitely wanted to finalized a CD if you
wanted to read it on any computer other than the one that
burned it.

Mike

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, mmin...@nmhu.edu wrote:
>Subject:         RE: "finalizing" CDs
>   Date:         Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:56:25 -0400
>   From:         "Minton, Mark" <mmin...@nmhu.edu>
>     To:         CaveTex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
>

>      Bill Mixon said:
>
>>I've sent CDs I've written that way to lots of places (a printer, another
>>caver, etc.), with no complaints
about them being unreadable.

>      Interesting, as my experience has been just the opposite.  I couldn't
> even open a multi-session CD I
made on a different computer in my office, and a couple
>I sent to people before I realized there was a problem turned out to be
>useless to them.  After finalizing
all of my CDs, I have not had a problem.  I use Nero to
>burn CDs.  Maybe it's a Nero issue.  In any event, I think it would be wise to
>finalize any CD you plan to
archive or send to others.  They're so cheap
>that there's really no reason to add more to a CD later anyhow, unless you're
>just using it as a scratch
disk.