In 1988, my wife Sue and I joined a group of cavers to explore some of the
caves in southeastern Belize.  We flew into Belize City and arranged for a ride
in the back of a pickup truck down the Hummingbird Highway.  After riding in
the back of the truck, going about 20 miles an hour for 5 or 6 hours, we came
to a small bus stop along the road.  I think this was in the Stan Creek area.
Now when I say bus stop, I really mean a small thatched building with a picnic
table and a poster of Elvis on the wall.  The bus had come and gone for the day
and there wasn't a lot of food left at the little kitchen that served the bus
stop.  They had beans, rice, and some chicken.  We were glad to get it as we
really hadn't eaten all day.  The food was pretty good and the chicken was
obviously fresh as the chicken we were eating was probably roaming with the
other chickens in the yard that morning.  The rest of the chickens were running
around the yard - real free range birds.  Anyway, Sue had to use the rest room
(out house), so after finishing eating, she went down along side of the
building.  Well, the chickens saw here get up and walk toward the outhouse so
they came running.  We'll, we thought the chickens thought we were going to
feed them - and they were right.  Sue went into the outhouse and about 10
chickens went around the back and as Sue went number 2, the chickens were
picking up some extra protein from under the outhouse.  Guess they were excited
about getting some exotic new food.

Anyway, it made me think twice about the food cycle.  Nothing like a little
Bellezian Chicken.

Geary