For those who may not bave been avidly watching the entire Planet Earth
series (11 hours) for the past few weeks, don't forget that the last episide, a
full hour on Caves, will air Sunday at 9 pm on the Discovery Channel and
Discovery HD Theater.  There will also be follow-on showings; check local
listings or the website at
http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/planet-earth/planet-earth.html.

It's impressive and telling that they saw fit to save the best for last, even
though Caves is listed as 'Episode 4.'   The producers were clearly taken by
their undergound adventures (aided in Lechuguilla by a number of NSS
members), as I note that 6 of the 30 clips in their teaser/intro sequence (a
full 20%) are from the Caves episode.

Caves has been entered in this year's Video Salon, so you'll get to see it
again, either at Convention or eventually in the A/V Library (once the
broadcast schedule is complete), but this Sunday is the only chance to see it
in its native High Definition.

The US version, however, is narrated by Sigourney Weaver, whereas the
UK version was done by David Attenborough, who (in my estimation) has a
lot more gravitas.  The US version is also a good bit shorter, as significant
portions had to be whacked out to make room for commercials.  The
Salon/Library will have the UK version, which is a full, uninterrupted hour.

This is a don't miss, so don't miss it!  Sunday at 9 on Discovery.

Alex Sproul
NSS Video Salon & A/V Library Committees