Coleman Company must be spying on Cavetex.    Just last week, I bought their
newest LED lantern and made some suggestions for improvements.

They are now advertising a new LED lantern in several outdoor magazines with
the main improvement I suggested - using a recoil design.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/products/exponent/4347-701_500.jpg

The improvement seems to be that the LED is point down towards the ground
with a recoil reflector bouncing the light around camp.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-701&categoryid=26008.

I haven't found one yet.    REI didn't have it.

I am hoping this lamp will have a better light pattern than their
MicroPacker.   It has a brighter LED, and has 4 AAA batteries instead
of 3.     It folds up, which could
come in handy.    It doesn't have a rear reflector so you will have to
use foil or
one of those cheap plastic camping mirrors sold at Academy.    I can't find any
other specs on it, like if it has a dimmer setting.

In my opinion,

They still don't have the design right yet.    They are still trying
to put a LED into
an old style lantern.    They need to start from the ground up with just the LED
and design the lantern to make all of the LED light shine around your
camp.     So what I am saying is, the battery pack needs to be above
the light and below the hook, and then with some sort of brim around
the lantern to deflect all the lost light of the recoil reflector back
towards camp and not into outer space.   Beneath the
light there needs to be a short light wand, like on some of the Coast
brand light-sticks.   This would serve to light up the shadow under
the lamp, or to act as a night light.    And it needs to have a
glow-in-the-dark ring around the base of the
recoil reflector, so that when you turn off the LED, you still have a
tiny bit of light
for a few minutes.   Or something like those Night-glow lights you
might have in your house.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/115GrEihpYL._SS500_.jpg

They have other new products.

On Coleman's latest backpacking stove, they put the
gas canister upside down.     What do you think about that?     They claim
some of the gas residue will flow down into the stove and allow it to
burn longer.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/products/9770-A25_500.jpg

David