I noticed the other day that all the REI handouts on ropes, harnesses, vertical gear, etc. have a new disclaimer that they do not support this style of "Aussie" rappelling and state that it is dangerous. A few years ago we had one of the local swat team members ask if it was OK if he set up next to our boy scout training session on the cliff. It looked like he knew what he was doing so I said OK. 10 minutes later out of the corner of my eye I saw him "run down the 30 foot cliff" Aussie style. That was interesting, but then a while later he had one of our scout leaders (who had never been on a rope before) give it a try. I tried it myself, once. But I wouldn't let anyone else in our group of 12-15 do it.

In contrast, one of our guys accidentally kicked one of this guy's biners over the edge and it hit the ground 30 feet below, on what was probably dirt. He said not to worry about it and refused our offer to retrieve the biner. He was willing to do the Aussie rappel, but NOT to re-use a biner that may have had a nick on it. As far as I am concerned this style is only good for sneaking down the face of a building to take care of the bad guys as you look in the window from just above.

 - Pete

Antonio Aguirre Alvarez wrote:

    what the f... was this guy trying to do? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0bI7GUJcEc