At 06:09 PM 5/10/2007, Fritz Holt wrote:
Years ago (60's thru 80's) while
driving to Big Bend and points west during daylight hours, friends and I
( yes, I had some) would always stop at the highway 90 Pecos River high
bridge on the north side of the east entrance for a thrill.

On several occasions we've stopped there and rigged ropes off the catwalk in order to rappel one of the longest readily available drops in Texas--something like 600 feet, I think. We would try to include time for the stop on our caving or whitewater boating trips.

I saw a video about 10 or 15 years ago of a guy base-jumping off the top of a boxcar as it crossed the Southern Pacific railroad high bridge located only a mile or so away. He landed in the river (lake?) and a compadre in a boat picked him up and they sped away.

For that matter, in the late '60s we used to rappel off the SH-71 bridge across the Pedernales River. It had a very friendly guard rail at the time which was handy to tie off to. The guard rail has since been replaced with a concrete one, I think, which doesn't allow such activities.

--Ediger