It's possible, the archiving software I use does its best to strip out email addresses from the archives: http://texascavers.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm.cgi?mss:2895:200702

But when people reply, sometimes their email program quotes the real address and the software goofs on it and displays it.

It's not perfect, but it's the best that I have been able to do. Spam is a way of life these days, there are so many different ways to get people's email addresses. My mail logs on the server show dictionary attacks against every one of my domains, looking for valid email boxes that don't bounce.

If enough people asked me to take the archives down or password protect them, then I would, I just haven't taken the time to setup a better system.

Butch Fralia wrote:
I think I've answered my own question but since you brought this subject up,
can an e-mail harvesting spider get to the list to harvest e-mail addresses.
Since you don't have to log into anything to get to the archives, it could
be spidered.  Fritz Holt just sent me an e-mail about getting a lot of spam
and wondered if it was because he was on the list.  I told him he probably
registered for something somewhere that his e-mail address was sold to a
spam list.

I learned from the Beach-Comber BBS there's a command you can give an Apache
Server that will show all the list servers and list addresses.  Whatever it
is they've turned it off because so many lists have been getting spammed.

Butch