AAA batteries are now readily available in the NiOx variety.

I saw them at CVS pharmacy.    Supposedly they will last you
twice as long as an alkaline battery, but start out at 1.7 volt.

So if your headlamp uses AAA's, then you can give the NiOx a try.
Maybe on a long trip in Airmans this could come in handy.   You
could have a small lamp and maybe never have to change batteries.

The link below shows the AA version of the NiOx battery.

http://archives.imaginginfo.com/article/photos/1150997948131_b3.jpg

I wonder how their self-discharge rate is compared to the others.

Some claim that you can recharge them many times if you are careful
and re-charge them over a 24 hour period.

David Locklear