I don't want to know what they pour on railroad lines to keep the
weeds from growing.  I've seen them using burning petrolium (smelled
like kerosene) down the Mo-Pac line in Austin.  Is that what they use
everywhere?  Someone was/is a railroad tycoon/engineer/conductor here
on texascavers (Gill Ediger I think it was).  Maybe they can comment.
I suppose the worst of it has become chemically inert over the years.
Those spikes are bound to be safe by now?  (I wouldn't lick them..well
maybe for a small wager.)