Sounds like a topic for a high school science fair project. I would guess it depends upon the age of the bottle, the bottle material, the pH and temperature of the water, whether you left the bottle in the sun or not, and many other variables.

The Nalgene web site gives this as a solution to removing the "plastic" smell (and other smells) from any Nalgene bottles:

* Roll a piece of charcoal briquette up in newspaper, put it in the NALGENEĀ® bottle or container and screw the cap on. * Leave charcoal briquette and newspaper in bottle or container for a few days. * Wash in dishwasher (away from the heating element), or with warm soapy water.

That implies to me that the charcoal is absorbing volatile organic materials from either the bottle or the stinky anchovies you forgot to clean out of it.

From the Nalgene FAQ section:

The white bottles give off a slight "plastic" odor. What is it?
NALGENE bottles and containers are made of pure plastic with no fillers or extenders added, so the "plastic" smell is simply the natural odor of the material. It is not harmful.

Hmmm. Since my old Nalgene HDPE bottles no longer smell as strongly as the new ones, what does that mean? How should plastic smell, really? I wouldn't expect it to smell like anything. If I'm smelling something, it's not a long-chain polymer (plastic), it's some unpolymerized, volatile starting material, of unknown toxicity. After a few years the plastic bottle "outgasses" and no longer smells like it did when new (extreme example: think about a new vs. old vinyl shower curtain).

Diana