Mike,

While the hydrogeology of the cave probably hasn't changed much over the year, the tourism has. The last time I was there there was no admission to La Gloria, or to anywhere else except for one fee to enter the property.

What I can tell you about La Gloria is that there is a canyon that extends over the cave. It is a pretty and interesting contrast from the rest of the area and is cut in limestone instead of the more dominant siltstones and shales. When I first went up there in 1979, there was little evidence that anyone regularly went into that canyon. The same was true on my last trip up there about 15 years ago. On the 1979 trip, I followed the canyon back to where it narrows to about 2 m and ends in a travertine wall. In the wall is a body-size hole that blows hot air and drops into the cave (rope is needed). I described this in an AMCS report and later, when that part of the cave was mapped by Mexican cavers, the map included the label "La Gloria." The position of the label made it look La Gloria was the small hole, but I've always suspected it was for the large pit where the Arroyo de Chalmita plunges a short way beyond the top of the travertine wall. In either case, it depending on what fee is charged, I think it is worth seeing. If it's the pit, they must have installed a ladder or some means to scale the travertine wall. Another possiblility is that they may take you up what was, at least when I was there, a little-known trail that steeply climbs over the ridge into the Arroyo de Chalmita, allowing you to visit the pit from the upstream side -- a bit more vigorous trip but a nice hike and also worthwhile in my opinion.

Have a great time! I'd be interested to learn what things are like there now.

George

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:49:36 -0500