-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [Texascavers] Fw: Vertical Training workshop April 28-30
Date:   Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:58:52 -0600
From:   Geary Schindel <gschin...@mindspring.com>
To:     <texascavers@texascavers.com>
CC:     Geary Schindel Office <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org>,
<gshin...@mindspring.com>

Folks,

John Brooks has asked if I would coordinate a TSA vertical training
workshop.  Two years ago, we held a very suscessful vertical workshop at
Government Canyon State Natual Area.  However, Government Canyon was not
available to us this year.  I also contacted the climbing ranger at
the Alamo Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America and they are willing
to make their facility at Bear Creek near Kerrville in Kerr County
available for training.  The training will be open to cavers as well as
scout leaders which is a great opportunity to cross train with the scout
program.  (This is a great way to find volunteers for your pet
conservation projects.)

The training will be held over the weekend of April 28-30.  We would
begin an informal training program on Friday night around 7 pm.  Formal
training would be on Saturday and Sunday.  Camping will be at the scout
reservation in designated areas (away from other scout troops that may
also be using the camp.

The Bear Creek Scout Ranch facilities are excellent.  They are located
near the town of Hunt in Kerr County, about 15 miles northwest of
Kerrville.  The scout reservation has two cliffs that we can use for the
training including a number of bolted rig points along a 40 foot cliff
and also a 120 foot cliff.  I have also asked if we can use
the environmental pavalion which will offer good access to the cliffs
nearby as well as shelter from the sun.  We can also camp for the three
days at the reservation but they do ask that we follow their campground
rules of no alcohol.  I hope to also have access to the conference
facilities at the scout ranch for evening presentations.

We will be following the training manual from the Vertical Section of
the NSS.  This training is recommended for both experienced and
beginning vertical cavers.  Couse contents includes ropes, knots,
rigging, rappelling, and ascending using knots as well as mechanical
ascenders.  We will have examples of various vertical systems for
participants to try.  This will be a conprehensive training program that
will begin at 8 am on Sat. morning, run into Sat. evening, and begin
again on Sunday morning.  We hope to complete the training after lunch
on Sunday.

If you are interested in attending the training, it is open to all
interested participants.  We will cap the registration depending upon
the number of instructors that are available.  The estimated cost for
this event is about $20 and will include a training manual, access to
the scout reservation, camping, and equipment.  However, if you have
your own vertical equipment including helmet, you are welcome to bring
it.  Use of the equipment will be subject to inspection by one of the
instructors.  You must be 14 years or older to participate in the
trainning without special approval.

You may respond directly to my email.  However, note that I have a spam
filter so it may appear that the email was bounced.  However, the email
will go into a file which I will check every day or so and respond back
with confirmation.  If you do not get a response in a day or so, please
email me again.  Make sure that you use Vertical Training workshop in
the subject area.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or call.

Thanks,

Geary Schindel
210-479-2151 home
210-222-2204 work.