I know that this is off-topic, but I seem to remember a while back that
someone(s) had been posting their planned experiment to see just how
"permanent" cd-r's were with data backup.

I ask this because I see on the back page of the latest Light Impressions
catalog that there is a cd they are peddling which claims to be "the 300 Year
Disc." Other claims are that it is the "best CD on the market," that its
"patented dye makes stored data easier to read," and that "24k gold stops CD
rot."

Knowing the combined knowledge of the caving community is pretty impressive,
does anyone out there have any input on this? I know that with my digital
images, the only option I really have for storage is on either CD-R's or DVD's.
Which is better, and is this "300 Year Disc" all it claims to be.

Of course, if it only lasts 250 years, who do I go to complain to?

Vauter