My geology professor mentioned on a field trip that there are several geological features out west with names like "Molly's Nipple." Which raises the question: What will happen when they figure out what "Grand Teton" means?

Bruce

Mark Minton wrote:

        DirtDoc said:

Back in the early 1960's a bunch of do-gooders in the US Geological Survey who had control of the Board of Geographic Nomenclature made a concerted, and effective, effort to expunge what they perceived to be offensive historical place names.

It's still happening. In Carlsbad Cavern there is a famous formation known for a long time as the Breast of Venus, but the last time I was there a ranger said they were changing it to something else because some people found it offensive. Say what!?

Mark Minton

with the following message--unsubscribe cavetex.  For help and
information go to www.cavetex.net.
List administrator:  mailto:jswh...@cavetex.net