Linda Palit said:

his dog had been running with him in the mines and had jumped in a pit in the mine.

We got rope and gear and went into the mine. We rigged a rope down the pit, using Joe Ivy as a rig point because we couldn't find anything else to use for rigging. Brian went down to bury the dogs with rocks.

I was also on that trip, and was there when the dog just ran up to the lip of the pit and jumped in. It was a deep one, between 50 and 100 feet, as I recall. The only thing we could imagine was that in the dim light the dog thought it was a pool of water. We later named it Doggone Pit.

I enjoyed caving with Brian a lot in his earlier caving days. He was active in Mexico and Texas, especially at Honey Creek.

Mark