Personally, I enjoyed reading the article and seeing the photos in the August
issue of National Geographic magazine about the world's new deepest cave that
is over 2,000 meters deep.  Having done three caves in Mexico over 1,000 meters
deep, I was impressed by their feat, and was proud to know a couple of the
people shown in the photos.  However, not everyone was.  Just today I noticed
an editorial in the September issue of National Geographic critical of that
article:

The Long Way Down

I do not see the scientific or cultural value of burrowing 2,000 meters into
the Earth for its own sake.  What I did see in this story of Krubera Cave were
silly snapshots of strutting Marlboro men flexing their biceps and living an
overgrown boy's fantasy of playing in dirt with high-tech toys and explorsives.
 Equally grating was the shameless self-congratulations, declaring their
enterprise on a par with the conquests of the North and South Poles.

Timothy Griffin
Sparks, Nevada

Bill