David Locklear said:

>You can now own a caving headlamp that is nearly the perfect
>headlamp - The Stenlight S7.

         I have to agree with that assessment.  I used one as a field
tester at J2 (Cheve) in Oaxaca last spring, and it was great!  I took
it on a three-day cave camp at -500 meters and took two batteries,
but never used the spare!  Same with my caving partner.

>Why not make the lamp a little longer and add a 3rd bulb?  Thatway
>you always have 3 sources of light.     Right?

         Wrong!  You should have three _independent_ sources of
light.  Three in one will do you no good if you drop the lamp down a
pit or if it gets crushed or suffers some other debilitating
accident.  No matter how many bulbs your main lamp has, you should
have two others in your pack or on your helmet.  One at least should
be in your pack in case your entire helmet is lost, like falls off
your head into a pit or sinks in deep water, as has happened to more
than one person in Honey Creek.

>additional battery packs are a whopping $ 50.00.

         You can get similar rechargeable lithium ion batteries for
about half of that on the Internet and make your own.  I already know
someone who has done that.

>a variety of battery packs should be sold as accessories by the
>vendor - such as a tiny pack, a Tag pack, and a Cheve version.

         Not necessary.  That little battery is all most people will
need.  See above.

         Here is the StenLight web site:  <http://www.stenlight.com/>.

Mark Minton