Someone suggested that the TSA was better back
in the good ole days.      In my opinion, the TSA is like a waterfall.
Sometimes it flows beautifully and sometimes it trickles, but
due to many factors, the water table is lowering and the
creekbed appears to be drying up.     It is not the waterfalls fault.    It
will rain
again, so don't worry.

A lot of cavers from the good ole days have moved on
to other things.     One was an editor for Playboy magazine,
another flys bi-planes,  many have passed away, one has
alzheimer's, one makes space-suits for NASA,
another drives locomotives, some are grandpas and grandmas, others
are great-grandpas and great-grandmas.      Some have
family with health issues.      Some drifted away from caving
or left the state for a better life elsewhere.      Some were
only here temporarily to begin with due to job transfers.
Many have climbed the career ladder and are too busy for
caving.

There are other factors to consider.      There are less access
to caves than there used to be.      There are possibly less
caves to discover - at least the easy ones have all been found,
probably.      There is also the phenomenon of the "professional
caver" which may not have existed back in the good ole days.
Their activities can not be easily published in the TC.

Then there are the activities which compete with caving as
a hobby - rock-climbing for example.      Many young people
get active in rock-climbing and only go caving a few times.
Look at all the climbing gyms.      Where is the caving gym?

If you look at some of the old TC's, you will see some simple
trip reports that may not seem worth printing by today's
standards, so people who would have written such an article,
may feel it is not worthy enough to send to the TC now.

Then there is the internet.     Many people get enough arm-chair
caving just on the listservs, and so they don't need a printed
newsletter.

Then there is the competition for dues.     Back in the good ole
days there was no TCC or TCMA or BCI and the AMCS didn't have
dues, etc.     Now there are several organizations wanting dues,
personal commitent, donations, etc. which theoretically could be going
towards the TSA.

I think it is o.k. for someone to analyze the mission of the TSA
occasionally and see if it is performing that mission.

Here is my take on that,

In my opinion, the TSA is not a caving club,  like the UT Grotto
or the GHG.    It is not the Texas Caver's Asssociation or the
Texas Caving Association or the Texas Spelunker's Association.

It is the Texas Speleological Association.   Its only mission should be
to promote speleology.

Do we need a TCA and let them do the Texas Caver?     No!   That
would just be another confusing organization to pay dues to.

I propose we rename the TSA to TASC - the Texas Association
of Speleologist and Cavers and do this in memory of somebody
we all loved.

David Locklear
caver in Houston