I first went to Carrizal in December of 1984 with 5 other newbie Aggie
Cavers, and was the least experienced of the group.    There was a large
sign posted out front warning of danger in the cave that was old and faded.
   I once had a picture of the sign, but it is probably lost.    Didn't it
say "Histoplasmosis" on it ??

We hiked a mile in from the gate, as we had no idea how to get a key, only
to find a family living about 200 yards from the entrance.    I went on
several more trips to Carrizal for about 10 years after that, and they were
all fun and uneventful.    I have no idea if any of us got sick, and if we
did we thought we had the flu.

There was a time in the late 80's, where I had no problem getting a key to
the gate, but could not find cavers to go, or I didn't have vacation time,
or had some other caving related event to attend that was higher priority.

Sidenote:

The ladder that was recently used in the Kiwi Sink Dig was purchased in
1995 for checking out some shadows in the ceiling of the passage in
Carrizal.    After a monumental effort to purchase and deliver the ladder
to the entrance by myself, the 3 other members of my team mutined and would
not help me carry the ladder the rest of the way into the cave.  (
Disclaimer:   the ladder is a heavy duty aluminum ladder consisting of two
- 20 foot pieces. )  I can remember planning to carry it myself, as they
sat around the campfire relaxing with their cerveza mexicana ( Modelo or
Tecate ?? ).   I think I went back in the cave alone to re-check the
shadows once last time, and accepted the reality that I could not safely
get the ladder in place without their help. So I joined them around the
campfire.     I thought about donating the ladder then to the town of
Candela, so I wouldn't have to haul it back to Houston, but decided it
would be more practical to find a caving use for it somewhere.    The
ladder was eventually delivered from Houston to Kiwi Sink on the top of my
tiny Honda Fit.   I paid for the ladder hanging
Christmas lights on 2-story houses.

That trip was the last time I was in Carrazal, I think.   Sometime earlier,
around 1993, I was with 2 Houston cavers, Pam Ozkowski ( Spencer Woods wife
) and Ralph Batche ( R.I.P. ), in the cave.

There was another trip about that time with caver George Sanders, so ask
him about Carrizal.   He drove to the entrance in his Geo Metro.    After
watching that off-road feat, I learned the benefits of a short-wheel base
and small vehicle width, for travelling the backroads of the Sierra Madres.

David Locklear