Regardless of what cave that description fits, you know what's more curious?

I found the Feb. 5 1840 issue of *The Telegraph and Texas Register* and
could not find an article about a cave.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth48085/m1/1/
<https://mail.austintexas.gov/owa/redir.aspx?C=F9G_BusPz0KQRZ16xntt9JdJFBB_7NEIUZC2-_Zjpw-Bb6u7vRefGWVa2Ko_ARXtbRq1TPmyd98.&URL=http%3a%2f%2ftexashistory.unt.edu%2fark%3a%2f67531%2fmetapth48085%2fm1%2f1%2f>

Based on what I've found so far, I'm thinking this was made-up by Austin
High student Timothy Williams when he wrote a paper about the cave; and has
been perpetuated 'en mass since he submitted an undated typed copy to the
Austin History Center. Coincidentally, *The Austin Statesman* did run a 4
part article about the University of Texas Speleological Society
exploration beginning on Feb. 5, though the year was 1952.

In his "report" he quotes the article "in full". It is both lengthy and
often quoted in other articles.

This is disappointing, as the NSS Bulletin 10 claims this as the first
written record of a cave in Texas. I have uncovered a land deed for Austin
Caverns dated Sept. 6 1895, Does anyone know if it can it still keep that
title?

Justin

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM, via Texascavers <
texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:

> The cave mentioned in that 1840 newspaper article in NSS Bulletin 10 is
> not Austin Caverns, which is indeed north of the river and near Lake
> Austin. There was a mistake made by the author and the 1840 newspaper
> article is actually describing Bandit Cave in south Austin.
>
> Jerry Atkinson.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Dec 15, 2014, at 6:57 PM, David via Texascavers <
> texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:
>
> Bill's post mentioned something about the cave being in the hills.
>
> My fuzzy recollection of the neighborhood of the cave I was in was in an
> area that was flat by Austin standards, whereas "across the river" as the
> report stated is where the hills are.
>
> I only know 2 cavers that know where the storm sewer entrance is, and I
> presumed everybody in Austin knew exactly where it was.
>
> Maybe I am thinking of a different cave ?
>
> David Locklear

Justin Leigh Shaw

jus...@oztotl.net

512-797-4734

Box 40056
Austin, TX
78704

"we need to start using our collective intelligence in a creative, clear
and coherent manner"
      - John Trudell