Worse than passing gas...
Many moons ago when the earth was still cooling and access to caves like
Whirlpool was had for nothing more than a secret handshake, (and I had bad,
bad habits which I would never repeat these days) -
Myself and a companion went as far up the extent of that cave we knew of to
a 'dig' area with mounds of soft calcite sand where we took a break, drank
a couple of celebratory beers and "partied" for a while in deep dark -
"wow, man" - of the cave.
As we exited, we noticed that we had proceeded beyond the large amount of
smoke we had created back there - but if we stopped, it'd catch up with us
again.
Interesting phenomena.  The cave was breathing outward and we had a
"marker" in the air.
As we got into the Travis County room - we encountered a group of FIRE DEPT
and LAW DEPT officials on a rescue training mission!
Not tarrying - we quickly exchanged small talk and fake names as we exited
the cave in anticipation of the deadly smoke that was coming from behind us!