Cavers,

Ezells Cave Preserve in San Marcos, owned by the Texas Cave Management
Association, is in need of a new gate.  Many years ago the cave was permanently
sealed and the small population of Myotis velifer bats was denied access, which
cut off the nutrient supply for many rare and endangered denizens living in the
lake below.  Later, the gate was removed and sporadic use by bats was noted by
visitors.  Later still, a new gate and concrete platform were installed which
did nothing to enhance bat populations to return, although a few tricolored
bats (Perimyotis subflavus) have been noted in recent years.  A new gate is
envisioned that would reopen the window into the aquifer and help restore the
ecology of the cave.
So how can you help?

We have already applied for and received a Landowner Incentive Program grant
but we need more to offset the greatly-discounted $13,000 price tag for the
construction project.  A lot of the design work and equipment is being donated
by Jim Kennedy through his business, but we will need additional funds for
steel and welding supplies. We also need to pay a welder.  Please go to the
Donate section on our website to pledge today.  For those who wish to donate
additional funds, we are giving you an opportunity to have your name welded on
steel.  For every $100 donation, we offer to put your full name on a length of
steel which will be incorporated into the gate.  Lesser donations may entitle
you to steel initials.

And we will need many volunteers to need carry steel from the street to the
cave, lift bars into place, remove the old concrete platform, and clean up the
site after the work is complete.  We will keep you posted on our construction
schedule via e-mail and Facebook.

If you wish to donate your time and labor, call Ron Ralph (512-280-0648) or Jim
Kennedy (512- 663-2287) and you will be added to the volunteer labor sign-up
sheet.  The Texas Blind Salamander (Eurycea rathbuni) will thank you.

http://www.tcmacaves.org/financial/EzellGate.php