Dear Cavers,

I want to tell you that you are an awesome group of people! You warmed our
hearts and gave great emotional support at the worst time of our lives. When we
were called to Houston after Mallory got hit by the drunk driver a little over
two years ago, we had no idea of the seriousness of the situation. And it took
a couple of days before the reality of the situation sank in. Here we were in a
city that totally intimidated me with its size and traffic, facing a terrifying
situation. But you came out in force. You knew Mallory, not us, her parents,
and Mallory was just lying there, but you came to the hospital to show your
caring and support. It meant more than you will ever imagine. It made the long
hours go faster and kept my spirits up. The Houston Grotto was awesome. I loved
the pig and the Pooh Bear, the famous bat that Mallory reached for that let us
know there was some brain function, giving us much needed hope. I loved
everything you sent. Some of you came from Dallas, San Antonio, Austin and all
over to visit. I was very surprised and so very pleased. You sent cards, money,
parking tokens, brought food, took me out to eat to get me out of the hospital.
And so importantly you prayed for Mallory. You were all so nice and upbeat.
Many months later, I found out that many of you and many of my family were
quite concerned we would never get our Mallory back. But you never let me know
that. As her mother, I could only be positive and think she would recover. I
had to believe that and we did get her back. Her desire to return to caving and
keep up her friendships with you was a big factor in her getting better.
Exercise helps heal the brain and she would train so hard to get back the arm
strength from her hurt arm so she could drop pits, and to improve her general
stamina to do the long crawls. So many of you, particularly those in the
Houston grotto, have been true friends in her recovery. Thank you for all you
did for her.

I need to tell you that Mallory going caving the way you all cave scared me so
much until I finally decided I just could not worry anymore. It was going to
kill me. Funny thing, I would have given anything for her to have been in a
cave that night. There would have been no drunk driver around and she would
have had on a helmet. The irony!

Steve and I may be in Louisiana but you are always in our hearts. We would love
a visit if you want to get out to the country. Sorry we have no caves. We keep
up with you through Mallory and the GHG Facebook page. Thank you for all you
did to get us through this long, tough journey. I will always remember you. You
are wonderful people and deserve the best in life. All my love, Vickie Mayeux

---