Bill Jackson is the NSS Fundraising Chairman. I passed along your concerns to
him, and his response is below.

(forwarded by Wm Shrewsbury)
--------------------
Jerry, the emailed message from the Fundraising Chair reports the needs of your
Society. This one was to let everyone know we need donations earmarked for the
HQ property which we purchased nearly five years ago. Just like everything in
life, there are peaks and troughs in fundraising. We have had a recent trough
over the last six months and want to get it back to a peak, and with continuing
fundraising efforts to keep it up so that we can pay the mortgage ahead of
schedule and quit giving interest to a third party.

This is a long term project with a mortgage amortized over 20 years. Since it
is a commercial mortgage, it was for five years with a balloon payment
necessitating the refinance. This is not news; we knew it was coming and have
had it on the radar.

We appreciate Bill Steele’s comments and efforts to promote this NSS project.
We want to solicit the support of NSS members. If anything we are interested in
increasing membership rather than driving people out. We will make no headway
either way by alienating members or nonmember cavers.

The requirement that grotto members has been left to grottos to deal with
simply because the NSS really has no good way to enforce it. This was recorded
in the annual I/O report, however it was dropped by the I/O committee due the
difficulty enforcing it.

We encourage Grottos to do to enforce the membership rule as much as possible.
We also understand that there are some who want to go caving and don’t feel the
need to contribute to the “parent” of the organization that they go caving with
- the one that most likely wouldn't exist if we hadn't been around to set
structure for, to provide guidance for, programs for, camaraderie between
others, a national voice, create federal cave protection laws for, sponsor
expeditions for, etc.. At the NSS organizational level, we would like for
membership to be appealing to cavers so that they would like to join. It is
often said, by those who have sought and found answers from us, that we don't
toot our own horn enough.

It should be noted that membership dues, by design, do not pay a single dime
against the mortgage. Dues are used to pay the office staff, produce the
News/Journal/American Caving Accidents, other books we print, and many other
things. We have been very careful to keep dues and the mortgage separated.
Thus, the upgrading of our office from a tiny little building to the classy
facility it now has been funded entirely by separate donations. Dues run the
Society, not pay for the upgrade in our facility.

More members gives us a louder voice at the table when we sit down at the table
with the BLM, DNR, NPS, USFWS, and other government organizations. They are the
caretakers of our public lands; we represent the voice of those who want to use
our publicly owned lands for the exploration, study, and protection of the
underground resources in them. We estimate that we could double the size of our
voice if everyone in every Grotto, already receiving some of the benefits of
the NSS, would join. That we are heard now is good. With a larger presence we
could provide an even greater voice.

In the meantime, we have our new HQ building that has to be refinanced by this
December. The less we have to refinance the better, of course, and thus this
appeal. We sure could use Team 404 members and grotto donations to help with
this.

Bill Jackson
Fundraising Chairman
National Speleological Society