This is "caver culture² related:
Back in the day, Austin cavers used to congregate for lunch at the ³caver
table² in the Chuckwagon snack bar in the UT Student Union. We were
occasionally joined by some of Austin¹s rising counterculture literati,
including a very funny and talented Vietnam War vet named Big Boy Medlin.
Big  would occasionally attend parties at the Kirkwood Kaver house and other
1970s caver hangouts along with his fellow contributors to our beloved
bi-weekly hippie newspaper The Austin Sun, including Jeff Nightbyrd, Michael
Eakin, Bill Bentley and David Moriarty.
Big and many other Austin writers and film people of that period eventually
emigrated to LA, where he helped launch  LA Weekly, co-wrote the screenplay
for the movie ³Roadie², and became Head Writer at E! Entertainment
Television.
For today¹s younger cavers, who missed the opportunity to enjoy Big¹s
writing in the long-gone print version of the Austin Sun, the publication
has been re-launched this month as a website featuring contemporary
contributions by Big, Bill Bentley, and Michael Ventura.
Here¹s the link:
http://www.austinsun.us

As we used to say about new experiences to young caver wannabes at Kirkwood
Kaver parties: ³Try it! You¹ll like it!²

‹Frank Binney
fr...@frankbinney.com