Don't believe it.

Ripley got it wrong on two counts.

First, the name of the cave is "Braken" not "Bracken." It's an understandable
mistake and often confused with the bat cave owned by BCI. Randy Waters and I
named it as a joke, which is another story, never imagining that this tiny cave
would gain any notoriety.

Second, the spider was not relocated. Instead, the search for other localities
for spider began in earnest to determine if the highway would have to be moved
or if enough other localities exist to conserve that endangered species even if
the highway covered the new small cave (not Braken) where it was discovered
during highway construction. To the best of my knowledge, that study is still
in progress but probably close to wrapping up.

George

********************
George Veni, PhD
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919