We cross at Nuevo laredo on the way to and from Huautla every year,
sometimes at Colombia and sometimes at the main crossing in town. It
hasn't been a problem, and we never see anything out of the ordinary.
However, we make a point of crossing in daylight, and we don't drive at
night in general. We take toll roads whenever possible. There are now
good roads throughout most of Mexico, and travel is much faster and
safer than it used to be on the old, narrow, two-lane highways. Tolls
are expensive (about $100 one way to Huautla), but worth it.

Mark Minton
mmin...@caver.net