It seems only fair to critique Mr. Kunath's post as he nostalgically
critiques the newbie Texas Caver articles.

However, I am retired from arm-chair caving and no longer burdened with
such trivialities.

I am now annoying Linux desktop users worldwide and have developed a
similar reputation in that arena.   The development team of Mageia in
France unknowingly welcomed me into their fold, and are now scratching
their heads trying to figure out how to get rid of me.
But one of them must like me, or they would have kicked me out by now.

Below is a summary from past post on the headlamp topic aimed at newbie
cavers:

All focus lights have a tiny gap between the lens housing and the body
housing.   Cheap lights have a bigger gap and no seal.   So water and dirt
will get in and ruin things easily.    Fancy lights have a quality
tolerance and rugged machined materials with a silicone o-ring.    Water
and dirt still gets in and the o-ring will eventually need to be cleaned
and lubricated and maybe even replaced.    Better to not use those in super
muddy caves.

Most AAA headlamps are not suitable for a primary light source on a real
caving trip.   4 AA is preferable, unless you can afford a specialized
battery.

All of the high-powered LEDs need a way to dissipate the heat.    The cheap
lamps will eventually fail.    Better not use them for a primary headlamp.

Unless you plan to camp in the cave, you should not have to change your
batteries in the cave.   But that still means you need a backup plan and an
emergency plan.

It appears now that all the active cavers are mounting 2 or 3 or even 4
small LED lights on their helmets.

It would seem there is a now an excellent opportunity for a creative caver
to build a modern fibreglass or ABS plastic or Kevlar or carbon-fiber
caving helmet designed for multiple headlamps.

See you all at the next NSS Convention.    I doubt I will go anywhere
before that.

David Locklear

P.S.   My Sequoia has not be repossessed yet.