I am still officially and permanently retired from this sort of thing, but
I felt this
was important and nobody else was going to cover it.

Several months ago, I suggested that some caver needed to purchase
the headlamp described below and do a good review.    But I do not believe
that anybody ever did.
I would now suggest a caver purchase this particular one and take it caving
several
times and write a good paper article for a caving-newsletter or
caving-magazine.

This is only a partial description and not a real review.

Below is one of the web-sources for the headlamp:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20235-Hyper-Tough-3AA-200-Lumen-Headlamp/51745202

I was driving my estranged-wife's car, as it had been giving her trouble,
and she has been in my luxurious Sequoia since November 23rd.    And for
whatever reason,
I failed to bring along a headlamp.     So of course, I blew a hole in the
side of the motor's head,
and green fluid of some kind started spouting up like Ole Faithful.     So
being near a Walmart,
and having this burning desire to buy the said headlamp, I figured this
must be a true authentic divine sign
from Oztotl.   And so,  I purchased the headlamp even though, I have far
more important things to
be spending money on.

I paid $ 15.74 plus tax, but apparently it is a few cents cheaper on line.

It is a good newbie lamp for a trip to a "dry" west Texas cave.     Having
3 "AA" size batteries should
be sufficient for full trip in Emerald Sink, or Langtry Lead Cave, etc.,
especially if you conserve light
by dimming when feasible.     And it does have 4 power settings that are
super easy to adjust even
with a glove on the right hand.

The number one complaint, is that it does not look very water-resistant,
and although duct-tape might
help, I would adamantly suggest that you test one underwater before taking
it on a HoneyCreek trip to
the Boneyard, and not take it on a thru trip.

Otherwise the plastic construction is above average in quality for a lamp
under $ 25.

I think this is almost a disposable headlamp in that the electric wire
coming from the rear-battery
compartment to the headlamp is rather cheezy and needs to be beefed up
some-how.

I would also say this is a perfect gift for a caver-party or to give to a
caver since it is useful and
so inexpensive.

And it is great to throw in the car's glovebox or the tool-kit.

I believe the model number is 200L and it comes with 3 Duracell batteries
pre-installed.
The specs for the 4 light settings are listed on the package as

200 lumens spot-light for 9 hours 15 minutes ( I bet 4 hours )
              [  Tested by me:  200 lumen mode good for walking size
passage ]
95 lumens floodlight for 24 hours ( I bet 16 hours )
              [  Tested by me:  Floodlight has a very nice wide angle, but
very short throw ]
79 lumens spot-light for 32 hours 30 minutes ( I bet 16 hours )
              [  Tested by me:  79 lumen mode good for stoop-walking size
passage ]
27 lumens spot-light for 85 hours 15 minutes ( I bet 32 hours )
              [  Tested by me:  27 lumen mode good for crawling size
passage and cooking ]

I would say it is a really good backpacking headlamp for a 2 or 3 day hike.

If you like the red and black color then the lamp deserves 4 stars out of
5, and considering
the price that is pretty amazing.

Unfortunately, I will probably never take mine on a real caving trip.
 But hopefully, I will
get back underground someday, just not at the rate I am going.

David Locklear
NSS # 27639

Ref:

https://i5.wal.co/asr/32a4a09d-4695-47cd-a8e0-232e54dd63e3_1.da76111dca972069a7c0cc9e18876d3b.jpeg?odnWidth=963&odnHeight=963&odnBg=ffffff