Government Canyon Karst Project Report

January 7, 2017

(No activities occurred on Jan. 8 due to the TSA and TCMA meetings held at
the SNA)

Participants: Julian Garcia, Liz Herren, Marvin Miller, Kevin Pride, Will
Quast, Joe Schaertl

Activities

Two teams left the VRS parking lot on Saturday morning.

Liz and Will hiked up the Laurel Canyon trail and then turned west to
Solitude Pit. Their objective was the dig at the end of the Solitude Pit
drain passage. After locating the cave entrance in the thick brush, their
second challenge turned out to be removing a small Black-tailed rattlesnake
from the edge of the pit. The pit is only 2 meters inside the entrance, the
morning was very cold—about 38º F, but the snake was apparently plenty warm
from the air rising up the pit. Will moved the snake out of the cave. They
then rigged the pit and rappelled to the bottom. Liz couldn’t make it
through Superman Squeeze into the drain passage so Will had to go to the end
and dig on his own. At the end of about 6 m of crawl passage is a small room
in which one can sit up comfortably. From there the passage continues as a
crawl but sediment has raised the floor level to where it is too tight. Will
dug out some of this sediment but decided against getting muddy and so
didn’t investigate the passage any further. Back at the bottom of the pit
Liz was taking photos and got a nice one of a millipede, probably Speodesmus
reddelli. The two left the cave at about 2:00.

Julian, Kevin, Joe, and I drove up the Joe Johnston Rd. to the parking area
at the Rockpile and then continued north to Lilyhammer Cave. Our goal was to
survey down the blind pit that Joe had explored on our last trip and also
survey some of the upper level passage above the pit. I also wanted to make
a definite plan for accessing the large space beyond the far lip of the pit.

We entered the cave about 11:00 and quickly made our way down Shrieking Leia
Pit and Kevin’s Slot to the bottom of the 6-meter climb down where we had
stopped on our last survey at Station 23. I sketched 22-23, which I hadn’t
had time for on the previous trip. While I was doing that Joe rigged the
blind pit. Then we did one shot to define the small room at Station 23, and
from there down the short bit of passage to the ledge at the pit. At Station
23 we had been at -26 meters in depth. The deepest cave so far in Government
Canyon is Lost Pothole, surveyed to -26.9 meters, so I knew we were going to
break the depth record with this survey. The pit taped out to 6.1 meters
from the survey station, which was a bit over a meter above the ledge.
Later, after entering the data into Walls, I found out that the bottom of
the pit is at -31.77 meters.

The walls of the pit were interesting, with many thin, stacked ledges of
white limestone that stuck out into the pit. The interstices between the
ledges were full of red mud. The floor of the pit was mud and rock and there
were a couple of small drains leading down. It’s probable that the pit could
be dug out to access the space on the other side of the wall, but it would
be a big job. When I ascended the pit, while still on rope at the top, I
worked out a plan with Joe and Kevin for bolting a traverse along the wall
to where the 2nd pit can be dropped. With the hammer I was able to identify
solid rock for bolts and to clear mud off of a small ledge for an initial
foothold. It will take 3 bolts to get across. Bolting the traverse and
dropping the next pit will be the goal of the next trip.

While I had been sketching earlier Kevin had climbed up into the passage
area above the pit. There are at least four ascending chimneys, one of which
he was able to climb up for a good distance. One problem is that everything
is initially covered with the slippery red mud, which doesn’t make climbing
the chimneys easy. It’s also hard to keep a survey book clean. We did two
shots to access this area and will survey up the chimneys on a later date.

We started out of the cave about 5:40 and emerged into the frosty evening
about 6:30. The hike back to the truck and drive down the canyon took
another hour-and-a-half. In all we did 23.85 meters of survey in 6 stations.
The cave is now 77.80 meters long and 31.77 meters deep.

The next Government Canyon Project trip will take place on February 4 and 5.
For details see the project page on the TSA website.

Links to pictures:

Critters at Solitude Pit (taken by Liz Herren):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmbl6rpw6avij5b/20170107_110957.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wtrp0i1vquhxxl/20170107_122258.jpg?dl=0

Kevin Pride climbing down from the muddy upper level above the blind pit in
Lilyhammer Cave:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjrsjp1bm3ejw7f/IMG_4558.JPG?dl=0

Marvin Miller