The weather is spectacular in the early morning hours ( sunrise to about 5
minutes after sunrise ).   It remains very pleasant till about 9 a.m.

The usual hoopla of the opening ceremony took place, but it was special
this year as the next NSS President was introduced, and that is Geary
Schindel from northwest San Antonio.   They did not introduce the NSS First
Lady, so that is something that needs to be done.

An Indian ceremonial dance took place.   That was very special as my
great-great-great-great-grandmother was allegedly a Native-American as was
her ancestors for thousands of years, and so I searched my inner-spirit for
her voice.

My theory on these ceremonial rituals, is that they are so far different
from how they were performed in the 1400"s, that there is probably quite a
bit lost in the attempt to pay respect to their ancestors.

Other observations,

I am 53 years old.   This is below the average here of attendees.

Señor Fernando Hernández is here and a young lady named Keat ?   They may
be the youngest.

Bill Steele is here, as is Dr. George Beni, Roy Wessel, Dave Cave McLung,
Mr. & Mrs. Terry Raines, and Peter Sprouse.   Even Dirt Doc is here.   Jay
Jorden and Bill Ripley are also here.

Mark Gee is working registration.

Other famous cavers like Ellen Hofler, Dale Pate are here.

I donated the last 3 headlamps that I reviewed here on CaveTex to the NSS
Consignment Sales, along with flashlights and lanterns that I mentioned
since the last convention.  100% for a to NSS so I tagged the prices high.

Now I have few lights left, and so, I now have a good excuse to buy new
ones.

The link below are some selfie-type photos of the fake decorationst in the
motel lobby of "The Inn at Rio Rancho."

https://goo.gl/photos/UzDYcvdoc1p9E3m19

I visited very briefly the vendors, IMO, Speleobooks, the NSS Store, the
Cartography Salon.

David Locklear
NSS # 27639

All of my post and photos this week were done using a week old LG G6
smartphone.