This might be of interest to cavers. There are a lot of techniques that are
used in tunneling that have application in caving. Ross has recently joined the
Bexar Grotto.

Edwards Aquifer Philosophical Society -
aka brown bag luncheon

Friday, September 1, 11:55 A.M.

Tunnel Construction

Ross R. Webb

At

Edwards Aquifer Authority
Training Room
900 E Quincy Street, San Antonio, TX 78215

Mr. Ross R. Webb will present a talk titled "Tunnel Construction." The
presentation will occur on Friday, September 1, 2017 from 11:55 A.M. to 12:55
P.M. in the Training Room at the Edwards Aquifer Authority, 900 E. Quincy
Street, San Antonio, Texas. These are informal presentations so please feel
free to bring your lunch. You may also contact the EAA at 210.222.2204 or
www.edwardsaquifer.org<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/> for additional
directions.

If you are traveling a long distance for the talk, I would recommend that you
call our receptionist at 210.222.2204 that morning to make sure that the talk
is still scheduled.  On very rare occasions, we have had to cancel or move the
talk.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Abstract

This presentation will cover various techniques for building tunnels ranging
from hand mining to the latest Tunnel Boring Machine technology.

Biography

Ross Webb is a currently a Construction Manager and Resident Engineer within
Black & Veatch's global construction business.  Ross is experienced in managing
and executing all phases of tunneling and underground works.  Over the last 28
years he has held a wide variety of positions with contracting and engineering
firms.  He has worked with a variety of tunneling techniques in an even wider
variety of ground conditions in the US and abroad.  He recently finished a
three-year project in Antofagasta, Chile.  Currently he is consulting on a
several US tunnel projects including some upcoming tunnels for SAWS to be mined
in the Edwards Formation.

Thank you.

Geary

[https://ucarecdn.com/cfe99bfa-9ee9-4330-862f-aee807af1b4c/-/resize/132x68/img.png]<http://www.edwardsaquifer.org/>