Amzing. I drive to the Sierra del Burro with one spare and no wheel locks
in my 2002 Pickup on Firestone tires that are at least a year old and a
spare that has never been on the ground and my mechanic says is dangerous.
So far I havemade three four or five day trips and two out to Alpine and
the desert out there. Bockbeer is a strange critter but I will soon post
the new cartoon series the boring adventures of Bockbeer and his estranged
Sequoia.

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM, David via Texascavers <
texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:

> From David Locklear
>
> An irrelevant story about tires:
>

> I continued my quest today to prepare for a 3 day road-trip into the rural
> roads of northern Mexico.
>
> I went to about 20 used tire shops in search of a very specific
> all-terrain tire that I wanted for my 18 inch junkyard steel rims.
>
> So far I have spent today on 3 tires, ( only installing 2 ) was $ 360.
>
> The size is 265/70R18 which is an odd rare size but common on the
> internet.  It is 5 narrower and 5 taller that the street tires pictured.
>
> One is a Falken Rocky Mountain ( not pictured ).  The other identical but
> different name, Falken Wild Country, and the 3rd a B.F. Goodrich, all new
> in never used condition.
>
> I also bought the cheap PepBoy's wheel locks for $ 14 that can be knocked
> off with any sledge hammer, if you hit them just right.
>
> I did all of this in Spanish - probably saving about $ 75, but I also
> spent $ 20 on gas searching for the tires.
>
> I am done with work until the 28th.
>
> I just have to find some money, and if it ain't in the mailbox when I get
> home late tonight, then I will have to wait another day to check the mail,
> and then possibly cancel my road-trip, after all that wacky hoopla.
>
> Then there is an ordeal beyond words, dealing with the sweet lady
> mentioned in previous post.  She claims that she is going solo on her own
> to Monterrey from our house in her P.O.S. car with crappy tires ( yelling
> in a very loud deranged tone of voice interjected with colorful Spanish
> words like  super-c*brone," and "inutil." ).
>
> At the moment, I have 3 functioning spare tires, but I only hope to take
> one of them.
>

> I mentioned about previous trips being clusterph*cks.   Yesterday, I
> finally learned where the tool is hidden on the Sequoia that lowers the
> spare tire.   I also learned that the lug-wrench did not match the lug nuts
> and that the hidden jack looks like it has never been used and I never knew
> it was hidden there.   I did not even know it had a jack, and the jack that
> I had been carrying was a tiny one off my old Camry and was probably
> worthless for changing a tire on a big 2008 Sequoia on the side of the
> road.  I have had this vehicle 17 months and put 65,000 miles in it, I
> think.

Charlie Loving