Carl's "short summary and a few pictures" in 50 Years of Texas Caving is the best synopsis you will find of the exploration of Midnight Cave and the Michel Siffre experience. Carl was instrumental in both.

50 Years is an underutilized source of information that everyone interested in Texas caving should have.  Read Bill Mixon's review from the Jan 2008 NSS News   http://pages.suddenlink.net/carl-kunath/50_Years/Bill_Mixon's_Review_50_Years_of_Texas_Caving.pdf

Logan

On 4/29/2018 8:49 PM, Carl Kunath wrote:
Terry Cavanaugh certainly hit a few high spots during his brief caving career.
There is a short summary and a few pictures of the Siffre adventure at Midnight Cave in 50 Years of Texas Caving, (the encyclopedia of Texas caving), pages 459-467.

===Carl Kunath

Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2018 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Terry Cavanaugh and the Alpine Express

He wrote a book about it. Unfortunately, I cannot find an english version.

On Apr 29, 2018, at 4:17 PM, Marvin and Lisa <mlmil...@gvtc.com> wrote:

Yesterday Bexar Grotto members helped man a TSS booth and a Bexar Grotto booth at the Cascade Caverns Cave Fest. The turnout was not huge but it was fun talking to people about caves throughout the day. The band that played at the event was Terry Cavanaugh and the Alpine Express. German polka not my chosen style of music but they were very good. During a break between sets Terry came and sat down with us at the Bexar Grotto booth and casually mentioned that he had done some caving as a youth in Houston. We asked him where he went caving and he mentioned Caverns of Sonora. This would have been in the early 1970’s so maybe a local cave instead of “the” Caverns of Sonora. He mentioned a trip where they stopped by a cave where a European fellow – Swedish, he recalled – was doing an experiment on circadian rhythms. That would have been Frenchman Michel Sifre in Midnight Cave in 1972. He also recalled a trip to the Bustamante area of Mexico with some Houston cavers during which two members of the party drowned. That notorious incident happened in 1971 in Grutas de Carrizal. You can read about on page 296 of “50 Years of Texas Caving”, or the detailed report in the November 1971 Texas Caver on the Karst Information Portal: http://digital.lib.usf.edu/SFS0055003/00001/pdf.