speculations on terminology:

In some ways, speleology is  now in an evolutionary state, much as biology
was in the early 18th century. Faced with a myriad of different things,
they struggled to which diverse characteristics were the most important,
and which were less critical. Order was eventually brought from chaos by
the Linnean (binomial) system of classification. Since then there has been
a general split between taxonomists who see all sorts of differences as
significant and warrantling new names (splitters), and those who focus on
more widely held characteristics (lumpers). There is perhaps no single
right way of naming something. But when we do attach a name, we should be
aware of the philosophical implications of doing so.  In particular, it
seems there should be a distinction between the terms applied to the form
and to the mineralogy of diverse speleothems. By convention, most
speleothems are described as a function of their morphology, which is
related to the physical nature of the environment, in which they formed
(source of fluids, drives of supersaturation, etc.). The  mineralogic
composition of the speleothem, which is related to the chemical nature of
the environment, is in most cases is not mentioned, unless it's weird. If
we start naming speleothems based on mineralogy, it would mean that we
would need separate terms for calcite stalactites, aragonite stalactites,
mixed calcite and aragonite stalactites, stalactites with laminae of
hydromagnesite, etc., etc.. Following the hierarchical classification of
organisms,  would it make more sense, by convention, to describe
speleothems by using a morphological term with (as necessary) a
mineralogical  modifier? It doesn't  diminish the significance of any
particular feature but increases the information contained in the term.
Additionally, it makes the translation into other languages easier,
searching terms easier and more intuitive, etc..

As as rule, the people who first discover and find something new  are more
likely to be splitters, and the people who follow up and bring diverse
studies together are lumpers. They are like arborists, cropping off limbs
that seem less functional than others. This commonly is related to age of
the researcher, where young scholars are in the field finding new things,
older scholars are in the labs, understanding what they have found, and
long-toothed scholars are in the office, writing up and synthesizing the
work of others. As a long-tooth myself, these relationships become
increasingly clear.

mq