From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> On Behalf Of Diana
Tomchick
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 12:51 PM
To: Cave Tex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Notes on GPS, GNSS, and GIS for Cavers

I think the best take-home message in your PDF is the accuracy for a cell phone
or tablet can vary depending upon not only the device but also upon the
software used.

A useful addition to the PDF would be a table that lists the estimated accuracy
for different devices that people actually use in the field, including handheld
consumer GPS units, cell phones, Bad Elf, etc.

I know the information is in the PDF, but having a table that collects all the
information together would be extremely useful, especially when one needs and
easy and quick way to explain to someone why using their internal Compass app
on an iPhone isn’t as accurate as a handheld consumer GPS unit.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

On Sep 27, 2018, at 11:23 AM, William R. Elliott