tried to send this earlier; second attempt

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Floyd Collins: article, book, 1951 movie
Date:   Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:36:44 -0600
From:   Logan <lmcn...@austin.rr.com>
To:     texascavers@texascavers.com
CC: Preston Forsythe <pns_...@bellsouth.net>, Bill Steele <speleoste...@aol.com>

**Thanks to Preston Forsythe for sending the link to the article.

The best source is the book /Trapped! The Story of Floyd Collins/, by Robert K. Murray and Roger W. Brucker. Paperback and web pdf edition currently available for 50% off from University Press of Kentucky.
http://kentuckypress.com/live/title_detail.php?titleid=1669

In addition to the article and book, there is a 1951 movie loosely based on the Collins event. /Ace in the Hole/, directed by Billy Wilder and starring Kirk Douglas. In contrast to the Collins story, the recent massive cave rescue in Thailand brought out the best in humanity, with a happy ending.
*
*Thanks to Bill Steele for the link to the full movie on You Tube https://youtu.be/0xPuLe9Gxy4

My Dad was 10 years old in 1925, and remembered the Collins story vividly.  He never accepted my caving, and didn't want to hear about it.

Logan McNatt
*
Subject:* Tiny Courier Journal reporter became big national hero

Tiny reporter couldn't free trapped caver in 1925, but became big hero <https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/11/18/courier-journal-reporter-became-big-national-hero/1123958002/>

   Tiny reporter couldn't free trapped caver in 1925, but became big hero

Courier Journal reporter William Burke "Skeets" Miller became part of the story as he tried for days to rescue a...

<https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/11/18/courier-journal-reporter-became-big-national-hero/1123958002/>