Season's Greetings Cavers,

This coming Wednesday 12/19 at 7:30pm, Geary Schindel will present “A 3D
Photo Real Educational and Research Model of a Recharge Feature and Cave in
the Edwards Aquifer of South Central Texas".  He will provide a total of 55
3D glasses for the group, so if we have high attendance, we may have to
share.  If you're wondering if some 3D glasses you have at home would work,
if they are something like these, then they may do the trick-
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_shutter_3D_system

In 2017 and 2018, the Edwards Aquifer Authority (EAA) contracted with Benjy
Von Cramon Productions to create a 3D photo real model of a large karst
recharge feature located in Medina County, Texas. The purpose of the effort
was to create a photographic model of the cave as an educational and
research tool. Von Cramon Productions utilized a high resolution
photogrammetric process and the EAA provided support logistics, cave
access, and oversaw safety procedures. The entrance to the cave is through
two vertical pitches, each of 25 meters in depth with approximately 400
meters of horizontal cave below the last pitch. In the early 1980’s, a
trench from a nearby creek was constructed along with a low head dam to
divert water into the feature to increase aquifer recharge. The trench
activates during large rain events and will completely fill the cave with
water within 10 minutes.

The three dimensional properties of the model allow the public to visualize
the functioning of the Edwards Aquifer. The model will also be used to
study karst processes and to assess sediment loading from recharge events
allowing for better management of the aquifer. The model includes most of
the vertical shaft and downstream portion of the cave. The model allows for
close examination of the cave through the control of lighting and scale
providing new insight into the formation of the cave.

Bio:

Geary Schindel, P.G. is the Chief Technical Officer with the Edwards
Aquifer Authority and is also President of the National Speleological
Society. Geary is a karst hydrogeologist by education and training.

Our meeting spot is The High Road on Dawson- 700 Dawson Road, Austin, TX
78704, off Barton Springs Road.  Please, no outside food or beverages.
They have happy hours from 5-7pm for $2-$3 beers, otherwise beer is $3-$4
and a burger with fries is $5.  Arrive early to order!
http://thehighroadondawson.com/

After the meeting, we don't plan to hang around much- There is talk of
celebrating Gill and Grace's Birthday by heading over to 37th St for a
stroll, then convening at the Posse. 😁

Patty Calabrese
Underground Texas Grotto Vice Chair