Sheck was able to accomplish so much because of an almost robotic certainty
that if he did something correctly he would prevail. That works well until the
world dishes up something unexpected such as an accident.

Sometime during the mid 70s my future ex wife Lema and I had gone to Texas for
some caving event. I have forgotten exactly when or where, but I think it was
either Austin or San Antonio. From there we rode out west to the Devil’s
sinkhole with Sheck and Paul Smith, a fellow caver and diver from Florida.
After bopping the pit we headed back in Sheck’s VW hippie van, but make no
mistake, Sheck was not a Hippie, more like an astronaut. Lema and I rode in the
back while sitting on big wooden boxes full of diving and caving gear.

As a young testosterone fueled fool I habitually drove like a maniac, but that
didn’t mean I was comfortable riding with anyone else, even an apparently
careful driver like Sheck, so I kept my eyes open. I was concerned that he paid
too much attention to the rules and not enough attention to the road.

So it was that somewhere in San Antonio we were passing through an
intersection. Sheck had the right of way so he just barreled on through without
slowing down or even bothering to look. After all, he had the right of way.
Even though I was sitting in the back I could see the Buick Electra bearing
down on us in an attempt to beat the light. I didn’t say anything because
nobody likes a back seat driver, and Sheck had already sniffed disapproval for
our, “Lack of seriousness”, one of the many times I have been accused of not
being a real caver because…(fill in the blank).

Sheck never even hit the brakes, so we T-boned the Electra at about 50 mph.
Sheck and Paul were wearing their seat belts so they miraculously escaped
unscathed, but Lema and I were sitting on unsecured boxes filled with hundreds
of pounds of equipment. The boxes damn near ripped our legs off. I didn’t
realize I was injured until I got out of the van to discover that my left leg
now pivoted sideways at the knee. Lema was similarly injured but not so badly.

I was medevaced to a Catholic hospital in Jacksonville where Lema and I did a
great job of scandalizing the nuns by smoking dope, drinking wine, and screwing
in the hospital bed. It was good therapy because after seven months in a cast
and a year of skinny leg syndrome I fully recovered!

Perhaps it is my anarchistic nature, but this and many other such experiences
have long convinced me to distrust those who presume that if you do things the
“right” way then everything will work out.  (Unless of course a Buick Electra
comes flying out of left field!)

Sleazeweazel

Ps: Unlike so many others on this list my obituary has yet to be reported;
nevertheless, it seems that the dark part of my caving career is coming to an
end. Excess weenie whacking, machete swinging, axe chopping, chainsaws, rope
climbing, mountain biking, paddling, and especially drunken frisbee has utterly
destroyed both of my shoulders. The rotator cuff muscles and several others
have long since separated from the bones. That means major surgery coming up
next week. Presuming everything goes well effective recovery takes six months,
followed by surgery on the other shoulder. That means I will be out of action
for a full year, a big chunk out of however many years I have left. At 71 there
can’t be that many. The good news is that I long ago lost interest in the dark
part of caving. The bad news is that I may never again be able to carry a
backpack while hacking my way through the jungle to visit the green gooey snake
infested entrances that I so love.