I have also known William Russell for nearly 50 years. On my first trips to Mexico in 1968 and 1969 (when I lived in Illinois), Bill was one of the people we stopped in Austin to talk to about leads and to get directions. He was always a fount of information. When I moved to Austin in 1977, Bill became a regular caving partner, both in Mexico and in Texas. His knowledge of both runs very deep. I have spent many enjoyable hours digging with him. It was Bill Russell who first recognized the potential of Huautla in 1965, and we're still going there today (the 2019 expedition begins in April). I'm hoping for a full recovery. I'm sure he still has a lot to contribute.

Mark Minton
mmin...@caver.net

On 2019-03-09 12:08, Bill Steele wrote:
Amen to what Bill Elliot said, Katie. Thanks for taking such good care
of our Texas and Mexico caving mentor.

I spent an hour with William and Katie Sunday afternoon. He’s given
me SO MUCH direction in the 48 years I’ve known him.

Bill Steele
speleoste...@aol.com

On Mar 9, 2019, at 10:00 AM, William R. Elliott <speodes...@gmail.com>