Rob Bissett and many others were the first responders.  Bruce Johnson ??

That was a really fun weekend until I burned my eye.

Had that happened at the bottom of the pit in Cueva Cuchillo, I would have
likely died of a heart-attack with about 6 cavers watching.

I was very luckily at the lip above the pit and off-rope and only about 30
feet below the free-climbable entrance, and left the cave alone on my own -
not realizing I was injured in a way that would require help.

That incident was one of many situations were my desire to be helpful
totally backfired.

I never caved again with carbide.

Ironically, that was not the main tragedy that weekend.

There were 2 others, but I think they happened before we got there or the
weekend before.

Also, I recall a rumor of Jim Elliot ascending the 400 using some unusual
system involving a lot of arm-strength - no foot loops or just really loose
harness ??  or was it Texas-system, but with 2 knots.

That was 1990 and today, I do not remember what eye it was.

Is Bruce still around ?